Re: CYAN

        Reply to:   RE>>CYAN

Jim and Rob,
You've discovered one of the big fatal flaws of SMPTE C phosphors.  The
original colorimetry of the original NTSC display phosphors specified and
built in 1953 had a great Cyan due to the VERY Green phosphor.  Compromises
over the years for more and more light output pushed Green way down the CIE
chart towards yellow and brought the color gamut triangle way in so the area
of reproducible colors was drastically reduced.  Not only is Cyan displayed
with a very desaturated and pasty looking poor copy of the original Cyan (take
a look at a good glossy color print in a well done magazine such as Nat. Geo.
to see what Cyan is supposed to look like and used to look like on the
original wide gamut phosphor set of 1953) but Reds are moved toward orange
which creates inaccurate flesh tones, Yellows are mustard colored instead of
true yellow, and Magentas are desaturated.  A real Cyan is a rich Turquoise in
color.  EBU phosphors will give you a little bit better Cyan due to the Green
being a little shorter wavelength than with SMPTE C and significantly better
Reds (which makes for better flesh and yellow values).  This is an issue that
hopefully will finally be addressed in the near future with wider gamut
displays made possible by the new light valve type display technologies that
are coming on the scene--Micro-Mirrors (DLP), LCD projectors, and other light
valve technologies.  To learn more about this colorimetry stuff point your
browsers to Charles Poynton's pages at <http://www.inforamp.net/%7Epoynton/>
for all kinds of info.  Also, for info on colorimetry related to internet
issues flip to "A Standard Default Color Space for the Internet" located at
<http://www.w3org/pub/WWW/Printing/motta/W3Color.html>
Dave Corbitt
Manhattan Transfer / Edit, Inc.
NYC