Re: Pin Registration vs. stabilization

To add to the reasons for mechanical pin registration in transfer before
attempting stabilization in digital compositing workstations, I will say that
my comping colleagues like to have pinned film transfers for resolution
advantages. Sometimes, scene material dependent, the manipulation in
Flame/Inferno/Henry has a cost in sharpness. And to underscore Alex Scudiero,
there are the odd pan shots that make stabilizing more time consuming if at
all possible. I applaud those vendors who seek to develop gates that combine
realtime steadiness with the  fallback assurance of mechanical systems to
repeat the registered camera image.

Gary Coates
Western Images/San Francisco