Setting up a TBC

Hello,

I don't know if you will be able to help me or not.  I have a D-2 edit suite
and edit all types of tv and video stuff.  I send dubs around the world
and I have never had a complaint.

However Sioux Falls Cable in Sioux Falls, South Dakota (the town in
which I live/work/play) claims their BETASP dub is off color.  The Blues
are purple and so on.  I was told by the SF Cable there was "no way"
for them to correct the color. I thought maybe they didn't have a
waveform monitor and vector scope or a TBC on their playback deck,
so I got the tape back set it up to bars and played it on my system and it
looks fine. I feel there is nothing wrong with my BETASP DUB.  And
according to my Editor/Engineer friends, if I did have a recording problem
everyone in the world would be complaining about bad dubs.

When I got to the cable operation I found they had their  BETASP TBC
settings on PRESET AND REFUSED TO MOVE THEM, they have a
waveform monitor and vector scope.

Their "guy" ( I won't call him an engineer because he was a moron)
claims ALL COLOR BARS ARE THE SAME AND TAPES SHOULD NOT
NEED ADJUSTMENT.  He claims if he sets up to my bars to dub my spots
he would have to set up to the bars on all tapes that come in.  I KNOW,
YOU KNOW, ANYONE WITH A ENGINEERING  BACKGROUND KNOWS,
that you must setup all tapes recorded out of house to bars to insure
accurate color playback. I dubbed spots for on airplayback at KSFY-TV
and WTVX-TV and sometimes I had to run the spots thru 2 TBC's to
correct the chroma phase.

Are there any documents that show how/why to setup a time base
corrector to color bars.  I am going to kill the cable "guy"  if I have to go
over there again and explain this again.

Please help,

Dave Palmer
Senior Editor/Engineer
Media One Film Video