RE: Pin-Reg-in-a-box

>} 	This is something I don't understand, why would clients insist to
>} pin-register their neg while it is now so easy and quick to stabilize
>} with Flame, Henry etc...?  Personnaly I have not had this demand for
>} years.

Philosophically, I believe (my personal opinion) that one should
not rely on post-stabilisation as the sole process.  I consider
it a band-aid or a tool to help fix otherwise difficult problems
(such as ratty film edges, unstable camera or film that was not
originally shot pin-registered).  I feel we should strive to solve
as many problems as possible as early in the process as possible.

As post-professionals we all used to mock the producers' mantra of
"We'll fix it in the mix."  Even though now we have more tools to
help solve more problems, I don't think that's a healthy attitude
to rely on them in general as the first line of defense. [Weasel
Clause: ...at least for now.]

I think similar arguments could be applied to lighting and noise
reduction.  And we'll always find execptions, so I will beg the
usual unwritten disclaimers.

Bill Topazio, VP/Engineering     bt at mte.com   v:212-907-1225
Manhattan Transfer / Edit        New York, NY f:212-687-2719

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot
of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
                                           -Douglas Adams