Re: Legal RGB and "shameless plug"

<snip>
> All I want are white and black clips in RGB I can set in a
>digital box that costs
>under $3,000.

>Howard Lukk
>International Video Conversions

Steve Prager (Prager and Associates) makes a simple 601 clipper that appears
to work well, and is well within your specified price range.  It clips to
"legal" levels. He indicated that he can set these to whatever is required
by the customer.  It is a totally "tweakless" box.

Another box that Steve is making that might be of interest to some TIG
readers is a reference generator that outputs an analog black reference
based upon incoming 601 video.  This is useful for timing of devices (like
and Accom Encoder and some others) that only reference to external video.
It allows you to trick the box to reference from incoming video, allowing
more flexibility when passing video through boxes that add line delays.

Another useful Prager box is a black matte generator that can be used for
leterbox mattes.  Some facilities are using it for covering up the vertical
interval on the daVinci 8:8:8 output so they can get rid of daVinci color
corrections to the vertical interval.

Let me add that I have no affiliation with Steve Prager, or Options Inc.,
and gain absolutely nothing from recommending Prager products. I just like
to pass along simple, inexpensive solutions to common problems. Perhaps
these will be at the Options booth at NAB?  I have not spoken with Steve for
many months, so I am uncertain as to his NAB display plans this year.

Craig Nichols
Todd-AO Video Services