RE: telecine into AVID

>>Can anyone help us with info or practices for transferring directly from
telecine into AVID. How common is this practice?

>>At one time Avid made a product called the Media Recorder Telecine (MRT) ......
It basically acts like a VTR except that it crashed
frequently, taking the current recording with it.  Support for the product
was meager (only 1 or 2 people at Avid seemed to know how it worked) and when
the manual finally came it was essentially useless ("keycode" could not be
found in the index, but there were a number of pages dedicated to explaining
how to open and close windows).  Most of the people that tried it found it to
be more trouble than it is worth (myself included) and decided to batch
digitize from a beta and flexfile.

However, the MRT really works well for projects that have a lot of footage
and tight deadlines (multi camera) and the editor can either supervise the
telecine or is otherwise familiar with the material.  The time saved by
digitizing in the telecine can be quite significant here, but you could
certainly bill a lot more per hour by having an assistant digitizing in
another room from a tape, and you could spend your hardware dollars toward
that fully functional Avid room instead.<<

There is a new device from Avid called the Media Station which does full VTR
emulation, but it is written under Avid version 6.5, rendering it somewhat useless
if you're using earlier software versions on the cutting system
The biggest problem I see with the "digitize in telecine" concept is that Avid systems
(as well as Lightworks) use single drive storage, i.e., no RAID protection, so that if
the disk crashes or the media gets otherwise corrupted (which happens far too
frequently), you're basically screwed. The only recourse is to transfer again or
digitize from tape, which, hopefully, you also recorded when you went directly to
the Avid. We found that direct digitizing is FAR more trouble than it's worth, and
have gone with the digitize-directly-after-telecine concept instead. If you keep up
with the digitizing, it's done about an hour following the completion of telecine
anyway, and without the downtime in a far more expensive environment.

Mike Most, Encore Video, L.A.