Re: (Fwd) SONY telecine.

Peter Stansfield wrote:
>         I note that much debate takes place on the TIG about whether SONY
> have developed a Telecine. I can't answer that question categorically, but
> draw people's attention to US patent 5,428,387.

	The patent is viewable on IBM's patent server at
http://patent.womplex.ibm.com/details?patent_number=5428387
(Ain't the internet great?)

	The patent was filed almost four years ago, by John Galt & James
Pearman, both of Glendale, CA.  It rather broadly describes a telecine
consisting of three adjustable light sources with RGB filters, a light
integrating sphere, a rotating shutter disk, an intermittent film
transport, and a high-definition video camera to capture the image.
Nothing very earth-shaking that I can see.
	Interestingly, the patent seems to describe the telecine as only
operating at 24 fps, with 3-2 pulldown being accomplished by the spacing
of the apertures in the rotating shutter.

Hans Lehmann
Encore Video, Hollywood