Re: 3-PERF REARS HEAD! THOUSANDS FLEE IN PANIC!

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:06:54 -0800, you wrote:
>>>The engineering solution to this madness is of course to abandon =
3-perf,
>and let it sink back into the primaeval sludge from whence it came.
>Does the phrase "false economy" ring any bells for folks out in =
telecine-land?<<

>I don't think you would be saying that if you were a producer or studio =
exec saving=20
>approximately $6000-$8000 per sitcom episode on stock and processing. =
Multiply
>that by 22 episodes and it's over $150,000. That doesn't sound like =
"false economy"
>to me. Not to mention the production advantage in having fewer film roll=
 changeovers
>in front of an audience, especially with 2000 foot mags.
>
>Mike Most, Encore Video, L.A.

Although that $150,000 a season sounds like real money to those of us
working for a living (except maybe a few of you top-end guys,and you know
who you are), I'd like to point out that on successful sitcoms, that =
amount
of money is paid weekly (in an aggregate amount) to a lot of those people
appearing in the credits as "something-created by" or =
"something-producer"
who never EVER even show up on the set.

Having worked on the production end of quite a few sitcoms myself, I can
assure y'all that the total below-the-line costs for shooting and editing
an episode of a successful sitcom are a teeny, tiny, minuscule,
pissing-in-the-ocean portion of the per-episode cost.  It is also the one
area where all producers feel free to grind the living crap out of all
suppliers and crew about money.

Ya gotta love the biz.

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC