3LineVitc vs FLeX

Hello Terry,

> Thanks to David Tosh and J.P. for getting to us this info of this new
> future standard.

RECTIFICATION #1
I just received a message from William C. Miller (abstract underneath).
Contrary to what I unduly wrote, 3LineVitc is not an SMPTE "Recommended
Practice", it remains a two year old Aaton/Lightworks Practice.
Since Avid recently rejoined the group, 3LineVitc will become
a defacto standard before exercising its "R.P." status even.
    ))Dear sir:
      The following was forwarded to me. I have no wish to intrude
      into a private discussion; however, I am concerned by something
      implied in the message.  I see that 3-line VITC is referred to
      as a "Recommended Practice".  I know that a proposal (Project
      number P18.250) is working its way through the SMPTE Engineering
      Standards process to create such a recommended practice.
      At this point, the document has not been approved or published
      for comment.   ... deletia ...
      William C. Miller - Engineering Vice-President - SMPTE ((

RECTIFICATION #2
Alan Lamshead/Evertz recently wrote on the TIG: "I believe that
Lightworks will support reading 3-line VITC also in the near future
in released version software."
In fact, Lightworks does read 3LineVitc and has had 3LineVitc
generated databases for over TWO YEARS!

> One of the things that confuses me is all the info for user bits.
> How many colorist, or assistants really has the time to enter all of
> that info into the user bits.

Not half a second lost: 3LineVitc data is automatically entered into
line-2 by the Keycode reader, and into line-3 by the filmTC reader.
(The filmTC (or digi-slateTC) can be replaced by the mag-followerTC).

> The flex files generated at the same time the 3-line standard is,
> has all of this other info.
> Is this future standard for someone who does not have the ability to
> generate flex files. Or could JP enlighten me to some new knowledge.

I don't think FLeX files (& the likes) will disappear; even if, one day,
a 6-LineVitc carries all the transfer data, it will not replace
the film database -- be it sent to the editing system by floppy disk
or Internet [see note] --, for ONE good reason:
VITC lines are burned on-the-fly during the transfer, they can't be
easily
corrected; whereas the database (in/out-points) can be edited
& completed at the end of the session on a stand-alone File Logger which
leaves the telecine-room free for the next job.

3LineVITC is not a panacea, but it has two essential 'raisons d'etre':
1. the simplicity it brings to audio synchronisation without the
random offsets found along the LTC chain.
2. the peace of mind it insures to negative cutters who know the clear
Keycodes they read on control tapes are burned (PostBurner) from the
very VITC which gave birth to the cutting list.

Why record standard VITC when you can -- for free -- get
perfectly compatible VTR timecode on line-1, safety Keycode on line-2
and accurate AudioTC on line-3?

Best regards

--jp

Note:  The new Keylink generated ATN files are limited to 74 char.p/l,
they can be edited within the e-mailer (no more undecipherable
enclosures),
and directly sent to the NLE.
You see Terry, 3LineVitc is not at all the transfer database Terminator!