RE: survey says...

  Those of us who are not still using the old 4 line system use 3 lines
to encode all of the same information. I prefer lines 16,17,18 while
others choose 15,16,17 or some similar combination. Aaton introduced
and Evertz now supports the 3 line system, which allows room for other
information to be encoded as well. I choose to include production date
and video reel number or Aaton tags.
   The use of VITC to encode more than just time code has taken some
time to become popular, and along the way many systems have been
tried. The 3-line system allows greater flexibility and less wasted space
than any other, which is why it has been widely adapted as an industry
'standard'.
                            Happy logging,
                      Randy