More HDTV thoughts...

I agree with much of what Howard and Jeff have been saying. Except for
the part of the $500-$600 range for TV's. It used to be if you walked
into your local consumer outlet that the smaller 17" - 25" TV were the
big market item. Nowadays most of the floor is dedicated to the 32" and
over "Home Theater" system anywhere from the $1200 to $5000 range and
they sell like hotcakes. The trend seems to be "Bigger is better." If you
add widescreen and increased resolution to the formula then the slogan
can be "Bigger and better is BEST." Don't under estimate the marketing
power of the manufacturers to sell their products to a public that is
always looking for something new.

On another note, there has been very little discussions about the
advantages of HDTV apart from the consumer potential. What I mean is the
advantages for the entertainment industry in a broader spectrum.
Electronic cinema and special venue sporting events have been on the
drawing board for a long time but now everything seems to be falling in
place with the FCC approval of (loose) standards and projection
technology about to explode onto the big screen.

The ATV format is more that HDTV. It is a door to a new way of producing
entertainment product that includes everything from 525 4:3 and 16:9 (I
or P) to 1280x720 to 1920 x 1080. What are we going to do, Re-transfer
the film 18 times for 18 formats?  The power of HDTV (at least in the
immediate term) is that it allows one transfer of film product (which is
where most content comes from) in a higher resolution that can service
ALL delivery formats!  Telecine will provide the archival master that can
be reformatted to any ATV standard and frame rate. That to me means that
the consumer market can to whatever the wallets of the people want and
the production community is covered!

HDTV should become the production high ground that safeguards all lower
domains. I think that makes sense.

What do you think?

Ron Martin
Universal HDTV / DVD Center