Re: HDTV

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:25:01 -0500, you wrote:
>Do you think there will ever be significant broadcast HDTV services? As
>Chris recently said, the public does not suspect that there is anything
>wrong with the TV they have at present. How are you going to persuade a
>majority of them to buy a more expensive receiver when the benefits are =
not
>desired by them, and quite frankly are barely perceivable in the =
domestic
>environment.

I've believed for quite a long time now that HDTV will start off in Pay =
Per
View mode.

That is, the people with money and satellite dishes and multisync big
screen sets will be able to pay extra to watch, say, the Super Bowl in =
all
its HD glory.=20

Actually, movies will probably come first because doing a 20 camera live
sports pickup with HD gear will be a little expensive until the market
matures somewhat.  But it is inevitable that live PPV broadcasts (sports
and concerts) will follow movies quickly if the format shows even the
slightest signs of public acceptance.

Once people see it at someone else's house, or on the big screen at the
Good Guys, the market will have the potential to take off as long as the
money delta is not outrageously steep.

Or not.

Bob Kertesz
Blue/Green/Screen LLC