Re: 30 fps

<< Read the spec (it's available on the Net). It specifies 3 primary pixel
resolutions, and specifies progressive and interlace options for two out of
the three. It also specifies only four specific frame rate options: 23.98,
24, 29.97, and 30. Check out your information instead of speculating. >>

Sorry if it wasn't clear enough that I was summarizing a number of articles
published in the SMPTE Journal and elsewhere on the frame rate possibilities
of our new digital television standard, many of which were speculations
written by the people who put the standard together -- and not quoting the
standard itself. While it obviously has to be compatible with existing video
standards for the time being, it is by no means limited to them and there are
many other possibilities. (If you will recall, around last Thanksgiving, the
computer industry was finally satisfied that the standard was unrestrictive
enough for their tastes, so they stopped holding up its approval).

For anybody interested, text and Word Perfect versions of the FCC digital TV
standard can be found at (respectively):

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Mass_Media/Orders/fcc96493.txt
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Mass_Media/Orders/fcc96493.wp

<< I do not for a moment believe that there will be multiple formats [ ... ]

Although the prospect of being able to broadcast films shot at 24 fps without
the usual 3:2 pulldown has a definite appeal, I am not so optimistic as to
think everybody is going to rush out and buy a high-def set just because of
that. After all, an awful lot of viewers don't think there is anything wrong
with the TV we have now!  Personally, I just hope broadcasters don't turn the
multiple formats feature into, "let's use the cheapest method possible to
dribble the drivel into households and rent the rest of our bandwidth out to
the highest bidder."

<< specific format WILL be adopted by the industry, it's just that the FCC
won't decide what it is, we (probably Sony) will. >>

Or Microsoft!

Christopher Bacon
DuArt Video