Re: 30 fps

In a message dated 97-01-21 00:35:25 EST, Bob Festa wrote:

<< At 30fps the Cintel telecine generally has the following problems, that
 combined with your engineering staff can be outright embarrassing or just
 plain annoying.  >>

Aw, c'mon now, don't go blaming your poor engineering staff, down on their
knees saying  prayers to the Goddess Brimar that your telecine may
reincarnate one more time before your clients go stomping off to Scheduling
to demand billing adjustments for the downtime! ;-)

Some of the recent stuff I've read about the upcoming HDTV system says that
it is supposed to handle different frame rates, and the new TV sets will be
able to sort them out and display them properly, perhaps like multisync
computer monitors work now.  Film shot at a 24-fps rate will be broadcast at
24 fps; film or video shot at 30 fps will go at that rate, and computer
images at 36 fps (or 72 fps non-interlaced) will likewise be handled at that
speed.  About the only thing that appears to be gone is the 0.1% speed
reduction from 30 to 29.97 that came along with NTSC color TV.  If they
actually stick to this plan, then people should be able to use whatever speed
they are happy with.  It ought to be interesting to see what inhabitants of
60-cycle countries think of 24 fps video without a 3:2 pulldown -- though the
possibility of electronically reinserting this inside home TV sets was also
discussed!

John Watkinson has written some excellent, thought-provoking material on the
temporal resolution of film and video systems, and has said that sticking
with 24 or 30 fps is a sorry limitation on the new HDTV systems emerging in
the world.  There may be lot of strong feelings about this one way or the
other, but his arguments are compelling, at least from a technical point of
view.

As an experiment, I projected some 30 fps, 16 mm film at close to its
original speed (using an old-fashioned variable speed silent projector).  The
ability to better see fast motion was about the only big difference I
noticed.  All the other qualities we appreciate in film were still there, so
I'd have to say that much of what isn't liked in 30 fps video transfers is
probably inherent in the telecines we are using.  Should it become desirable
to do 30 fps work as a major part of the business, I believe the existing
technology could be optimized for the new frame rate without a great deal of
trouble.

Christopher Bacon
DuArt Video