30 vs. 24 (NTSC)

On Jan 20, 22:01, Basil96009 at aol.com wrote:
} Subject: Re: HDTV & SUPER 16

> I've edited 2 ABC series that were originated on 16mm 4x3 30fps, and both
> productions decided on the route following tests at 24 and 30fps. In each
> case the clarity of the image, decreased grain patterns, and less strobing in
> moving camera made the choice easy.   [30 fps being the choice]

Quite a controversial subject.

I, on the other hand, agree wholeheartedly with Mike Most that 30 fps
is closer to a 'video' look and feel, and in most cases wish that the
few thousand miles of film I've transferred for NTSC at 30 had instead
been designed for transfer at 24.  Perhaps the exceptions were those
scenes with faster panning or closeup objects crossing the frame.

--Rob

rob at praia.alegria.com   KB6CUN   http://www.alegria.com