Re: CBS high def test

Dick Hobbs wrote:

> I also find it hard to believe that "the high-definition camera and the
> 35mm were almost indistinguishable--the high definition actually had a
> little better resolution than the 35mm". If you cannot tell the difference
> between 35mm film and any video source - however good - then there is
> something horribly wrong in the telecine. The chemistry of 35mm film offers
> about 4,000 pixels per line, which is a whole lot better than any high
> definition camera I know.
>
> So, please, if there is any further information I for one would love to
> hear it.

What is the resolution of 35mm academy and Super 35mm film after it has been put
into a normal camera, taken down to your local lab and processed? Is it 2k x2k?
Is it 4k x4k? What is resolution independence?
I am sure a lot of it has to do with the film stock. I have always been curious
about where these numbers come from.
I know that the CBS tests were conducted using horizontal lines/picture height.
I have worked on HDTV camera shoots before using the Sony 500 (CCD)series cameras. I
have also seen film transfers from the HD Rank, Sony HD telecine, and the Spirit.
Working in a telecine post house I am a little nervous. I am not saying that you
cannot pull high resolution from film, however considering a working real time
HDTV (or "resolution independent" ) telecine bay today we still have some work to
do. Just within the last two years the telecines have improved greatly. I don't
beleive that the production community will junk film. No matter what the video
cameras resolution it still looks like video.
The test I would really like to see is a well shot film transfered on a HD Rank (CRT),
a Spirit (Line array CCD) and on Sony's HD Telecine (field array CCD).

Howard Lukk