Re: CBS high def test

> The following is in the Jan. 13 issue of Broadcasting & Cable:
>
> <<<CBS has performed a high-definition TV "taste test" at its Studio Center
> in Los Angeles, (Edited)  CBS will present a paper on the test at NAB
> '97.>>>
>
> I have quite a few questions about this test--was anyone out there involved
> with it?

I was not involved with their test at Studio Center but they did bring
the
film to our studio and we put the film up on our HD Rank. I have seen
portions
of the paper but cannot quote specs from it.
The film is a static shot of two models on the Seinfeld lot. I dont know
what
film stock they used.

> Was it double or single blind?

Don't know.

>Who transferred the footage using what equipment?

I believe it was transfered at Sony HDTV Center in Culver City with
their Sony built
Telecine.

> As a colorist working in a market that is mostly 16mm,
> I was troubled by Seidel's remark that the 16mm looked like "home
> movies."---unless someone really trashed the film, it appears to be an
> overstatement.    There's a lot more 16mm being aired than most network execs
> realize---Wonder Years,  Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Homicide, National
> Geographic Television to name a very few.   I have seen Kodak demonstrations
> of 16mm transferred to HD, and feel that 16mm more than holds its own in this
> arena----as long as it's kept clean!

> Jim ( Colorist, Colorlab Rockville MD.)

The film itself was not trashed.
Home movies may be an overstatement but there is a clear resolution
differance
when viewing in 1920x1035. From what we have seen transfering film to
HDTV,
35mm camera negative would be the best choice and IP would be the second
film
choice for resolution.(70mm would be better )
When you increase your resolution and size (28 inch or bigger)of your
display
system one thing you begin to notice with film is grain. In our current
displays
we have taken a 720 pixel transfer trim it to aprox. 704 pixels and then
add
encoding artifacts. This "cut off" has allowed us to broadcast films
with less
resolution.
Keep in mind though this test was done by engineers. I'am sure a lot of
networks
execs are well aware of the costs of production, and in the end what
really matters
is how many people are watching it.

Howard Lukk
International Video Conversions