Re: flex-files

>[(..) are mine].  I hope your 'klugey' feelings didn't grow-up from
>the long exposure you had to the primitive AatonCode reader (A.D.1986)
>which was still in use in the dead facility you had to regretfully
>leave...  Where are you working now, are you exposed to Keylink
>V.5.2 or V.6.0?

To long ago, I posted a few comments regarding the Aaton visual =
interface & it's operation.  JP asked me to expand upon my comments, =
but with the holidays I got a bit behind on things.  Anyway, this is =
my view.

Dear JP

My apologies for such a delayed response.

I have actually kept up to date by staying aware of your new product =
releases, and studying the manuals of each one, so I am aware of your =
new upgrades.  Additionally here at Du Art, four of our units are =
running 5.21 and one is running 6.0   My earlier comments were not =
meant to be derogatory, bit instead were intended to be constructive =
and for the benefit of the group.

Specifically I would desire the following changes to the Keylink:

1. To be able to edit on the fly (while recording a take) event data =
(scene/take/cr/sr/text) without the virtual slate getting keyed into =
the burn-in output of the Aaton.
2. More flexibility to  be able to remove/edit erroneously recorded =
events such as might occur when grabbing data on the fly.
3. A better translation of the manual.  In many cases it seems that =
the intent of many of the features of the Aaton only barely come =
across and are explained inadequately.  Forgive me, for I do not mean =
to offend your sensibilities regarding language.
4.  It seems to  be a major Achilles heel that if there is an error =
in the collection of data, that it is not apparent to the operator =
until you have completed an edit (for instance after a 33 minute flat =
of 16mm) and gone back to review your data.
5. There could be much more flexibility with the ergonomics of your =
visual interface by hiding many of the parameters Config window.  =
Aside of basics such as the cam speed, the transfer speed, the audio =
t/c rate, the video rate, etc.  many of the other parameters are =
settings that only need to be considered during the initial system =
set up.  But these should be available , say, as a pull-down menu or =
something.
6. Allow the user to specify the duration  and increment of the event =
timeline, according to their preference.
7. I think the visual interface would be easier to navigate if it =
more closely reflected the progression of events in a typical setting
8. How about the automatic disabling of the parity window when =
switching from a 24fps transfer to a 30fps transfer and vise versa.
9. I would like to be able to have a selection of sorting options in =
the Titles view.
10. Call me a knit picker, but the Geneva typeface might give the =
interface a more =B3modern=B2 appearance.
11. Despite the fact that you mention the requirement to come out of =
and re-enter the data capture window at the completion of each flat, =
perhaps it would be helpful to operators if you explained why this is =
necessary.  Do I suspect correctly that it is to reset the Aatons=B9 =
framing reference?  And if so, should this be done after each new =
flat is loaded?  On non data collection jobs, where just burn-ins are =
being provided, I suspect that many operators do not bother to go out =
of and come back into the data capture window.
12. It would be more meaningful (& more immediately visually =
apparent) if you put the code meters (Aatoncode, Keykode) next to =
their respective numeric readouts.  Also, I would do the same for the =
Aaton/Keykode exposure (U, I, O) variation options.
13. It would be great for printing if we could consolidate a =
selection of files to print in sequence, rather than a separate page =
(& redundant sequence of keystrokes) for each.  Or better yet, =
provide the operator with the option to select his preference!
14. I especially do not understand the reasoning behind the change =
from Up/Down navigating using arrow keys to using the Page Up/ Page =
Down keys in 6.0  Using the arrow keys to navigate up & down within a =
screen in the DOS environment is one of the few =B3natural=B2 motions =
made available to an operator.  If I want to move a page, then I =
would use the Page Up/ Page Down!

Respectfully,

Tim Bond

This Email address is shared by the Bond home, so please put the =
RECIPIENT'S NAME within the MESSAGE BODY for proper routing.