Re: 3/4" dailies without windows and curtains

>In a message dated 1/8/97 Jeff "sync this!" Kreines wrote:
>
>The one unfortunate disadvantage to VITC is that most nonlinear systems
>discard any info stored in the blanking to conserve space.  If only this
>information remained tied to every video frame (and I don't mean through a
>database, but simply by keeping a few lines of the interval with the frame)
>life would be a lot simpler!  Is the Avid Media Reader working yet?  It reads
>3-line VITC and creates a file from it....

This disadvantage still exists in the Avid products. The systems based on
the NuVista+ video board did not capture the VITC lines.  The newer systems
based on the Studio video board do capture the lines but after compression,
they are not useable.

The Media Reader is now able to read the 3-line Aaton/Evertz VITC standard.
A new version of the Media Reader firmware is available through the normal
customer support mechanisms or via the Avid BBS which can be downloaded
into the Media Reader to support 3-line.

Some customers have reported timecode offset problems using this new
firmware (off by 1 frame, etc.).  These problems are being investigated.

Regards,

Joel Swan