Re: 3/4" dailies without windows and curtains

In a message dated 1/8/97 2:28:42 AM, Terry wrote:

>The best way I know of giving the editor what they may want, and satisfying
>all of your other worry's, is to request from your post house, that they
>simply burn in the
>SMPTE 3-line standard into vitc. It works. You get a clean copy with just
the
>letterbox. You can then use the afterburner to make a dub with window's for
>whom ever may request it. The 3-line standard consist of 1) Timecode 2)
>Keykode
>2) Production code, meaning audio timecode.

The one unfortunate disadvantage to VITC is that most nonlinear systems
discard any info stored in the blanking to conserve space.  If only this
information remained tied to every video frame (and I don't mean through a
database, but simply by keeping a few lines of the interval with the frame)
life would be a lot simpler!  Is the Avid Media Reader working yet?  It reads
3-line VITC and creates a file from it....

Jeff "sync this!" Kreines