Subject: Re: Monitor sizings,  27.3,=20
Author:  PC :dc at mte.com at INTERNET
Date:    11/12/96 13:28

        Reply to:   RE>Monitor sizings,  27.3,  poor power supply
regulation,...
    =20
At Manhattan Transfer we have been setting monitor overscan to 5% for sever=
al=20
years as recommended by both SMPTE and Joe Kane.  Measurements of commercia=
lly=20
available consumer television sets shows them to be set for a wide range of=
=20
overscan sizes but the tendency is for less overscan than in the past.  5%=20=
is=20
halfway between Safe Action and Video Blanking.  The old Safe Action and Sa=
fe=20
Area designations are leftovers from the early 1950's when the viewing publ=
ic=20
were asked to sketch how much of a test chart was actually visible on their=
 tv=20
screens at home.  These test charts were broadcast late at night in certain=
=20
key cities (New York for one) and postcards with the test chart printed on=20=
it=20
were distributed to the public.  The participants were asked to mark on the=
=20
chart the outer visible edge of the chart for top, bottom, left, right and=20=
all=20
4 corners then mail them in for compilation.  That data was then used to=20
create our present SMPTE Safe areas.  As this data is over 40 years old, it=
 no=20
longer makes much sense to still abide by it as if it were gospel.  5% make=
s a=20
whole lot more sense for congruence with actual conditions in people's home=
s.=20
Dave Corbitt