Re: Hi Res Colour

Steve Brett needs some backup, if one has a working standard resolution set of
hardware then it is relatively simple to go for HDTV or higher  - just add more
of the same hardware. The way it is done is to divide the entire  highres area
in suitable patches of standard resolution. This requires relatively simple
interfacing hardware to split and time the incomming data for the patches. For
HDTV six standard resolution processors are required and to claim resolution
independence eight of them will do fine. The cost times X?. No, theoretically it
should not be six or eight times as expensive, but the market is small and the
need is great so it will still cost you about the same as a small Villa.
Note well that there will be no performance loss for colour correction but there
will be quite drastic changes to the worse with noisereducers, dirt and scratch
concealers etc. This is due to the fact that each artifact from the film will
now cover a great deal more pixels. Since these systems are non-intelligent
"pixel processors" rather than object oriented they will disappoint anyone with
same expectations on performance as in standard resolution. I think there is
technological brickwall comming up where eventually the, still not realistic,
software based systems may offer much better classification and remedy to the
artifacts of film. I am convinced that these systems will offer the same degree
of boost to the tools in colour grading.

Summary
If  you need a highres system this very day then you can have it. If you are
however looking for one in the not to distant future a programmable or even a
software approach may not be such a bad idea after all. In my mind there is no
question of that this will prevail, the question is when.

Mike Reichel