Re: marketing

Rob,
   At NY SMPTE meetings try to keep meetings informational without
having manufacturers cross the line into sales pitches. We draw the line at
having presentors mention pricing except in the very broadest terms ( i.e.
comparing nonlinear systems - Henry vs Avid price indicates the added expense
of processing noncompressed video data).
   This has often caused disagreements, particularly from attendees that
wanted to better evaluate the cost/benefits of the technology being discussed
but we felt that we had to draw the line there.
   Personally, I would also like to see participants disclose any vested
interest they have when discussing/recommending equipment. A brief
disclaimer, i.e. investor or development partner, would be very useful in
determining how much weight to give to an individuals opinions <g>!
Rich Torpey