Re: marketing

Rob writes:

))It's not silly, it's marketing, and is not allowed without permission.((

Rob, so many posts here could be interpreted as marketing, but also as
factual information or at least useful information.

John Dowdell's post re the Spirit was interesting, but also had "marketing
value" to Philips.  Same is true about the Borothene posts, which were
informational yet could have been of benefit to the manufacturer had the
solvent been ready for, uh, Prime Time (and other emulsions).  Could be said
about J-P Beauviala's tantalizing posts about InstantSync, or the thread
about Russell Square.  It even could be true re the posts about your new
position at POP -- telling us about the balcony and views could be considered
marketing for POP...  at least under the very narrow interpretation you
appear to favor.

We live in an industry that is commerce driven, unfortunately.  We live on
that little corner where, with luck, art and commerce intersect.  Sometimes
it doesn't...

I think a more sensible approach (and, frankly, I was hurt and insulted by
your public trashing of me, as were others I received EMail from) would be to
let conversation continue, but clamp down when someone does what we could
call a "Mike Reichel" (sp) -- back in the days when he was touting
Colorvision or whoever it was, and, basically, posted ads.  When someone
"Pulls a Reichel" you could send them private Email telling them to pipe
down.  Of course all actual ads (for sale, work wanted or offered) should be
filtered through you.

Moderation  of a forum is one thing, but overzealousness can lead to the
premature death of a good forum.  As a user and supporter of the TIG, I hope
that in the future you choose to err on the side of looseness.  Recently,
moderators at AOL chose to be very censorious and chased most of the regulars
there onto a new and free website devoted to video post.

I realize that some people have taken advantage of the TIG as an advertising
source (for example, the people who sold the URSA, and the ones who sold a
switcher) and didn't donate a dime.  That too is wrong.  Perhaps there should
be suggested donation levels for individuals (perhaps $30-40?) and for
facilities ($150?) and for companies that sell to telecine users ($300-400?)
-- this way, you wouldn't be worried about the cash drain of the list, or
about being exploited by surreptitious marketing.

Jeff "well, still, Happy Thanksgiving" Kreines

PS:  I'm selling a combination turkey baster and PTR roller cleaner for only
$29.95!  Has other uses, too...  ;-)

(just kidding, Rob)