Fines

Interesting topic, when I first started selling hardware to the US I became
aware of a great respect for putting down on tape such material that could under
no circumstances overmodulate a television transmitter. Everone was and appear
still to be extremely concerned about this apparently  serious crime of
transmission of not legal material. I can understand the problems in an
overcrowded airspace w.r.t overmodulation but not the same strict application of
both vertical and hor. blanking - even if it concerned putting out a wider
blanking width - ie black where there normally should be image.

In Europe, this concept of fining by our FCC's does not really exist. The most
common fine is self inflicted embarassment on the poor soul that broadcasts
visible out of spec signals. Most broadcasters scan and correct their incomming
material. It is here that most of you will get a pass or no pass reply on your
work. These days this is less of a problem due to a lot of digital origination.
Not that there is an established consensus on how to enterpret pixels and lines
but there is simply a lot less to tweak. But unlike the US noone really gives
much reflection over blanking widths unless it makes equipment downstream go
wild or degrades the visual quality (most home sets are factory overscanned by
5%). To high chroma levels is seldom occurring and if they reach the
broadcasting site they would be clipped rather than overmodulating a
transmitter. Historically, Europe, although united since long by EBU/ITU (long
long before the EEC), put out specs on channel use and there has never been a
real problem with overcrowded radiospace as you have been experiencing in the
US, hence no worries about big brother sending you a fine.

Of course digital transmissions will put all of this behind us, yahooo!

Mike Reichel