Re: Freelancers

> Colourist need
> to be more involved with the creative stages, freelancers will always
> have a limited role in anything other than the inital grade and transfer

 >I would like to know Kevin Shaw's opinion on this point

I think that yes the colorist must be involved in, and very aware of the
creative process, because it is usually only the colorist who is aware of just
how much time can be saved in the Telecine suite. (Witness Kens comments about
saving 5hrs in Henry). There has been a trend for everything to be done on
Flame or Henry, but I believe that is passing and people generally like to use
the right tools and craftsman for the right job.

> freelancers will always have a limited role in anything other than the inital
grade and transfer
My opinion (and experience) is the opposite. Freelancers cannot survive unless
they are pretty savvy. A no good freelancer would get no work at all (and seek
full time employment?). Also freelancers tend to have more time for a project.
They are therefore consulted at the planning stage.  In most cases anybody can
do the dailies, but the selects, tape to tape etc are given to a chosen
colorist- who may be freelance.

For the record, I do not necesarily recommend going freelance. However I feel
that sometimes it becomes the only way to satisfy a client base. It is not the
easy route, and we have little say in the suites we work. To anybody thinking
of making the jump, your clients will let you know when the time is right. From
then on there is no looking back. Of course many top colorists change jobs so
often they are the next best thing to freelance anyway!

Greetings to all
Kevin Shaw
Freelance Colorist Consultant