Re: Old Video Tape & favorite question

Hello Julius,

>  Favorite Questions:
>  "Great job. Now, what do I need to do to if I also want
>  to cut the negative?"

Our Favorite Answer: 3line VITC.

Whatever your client tells you, back to negative or not, always record
the 3Line VITC generated by Evertz and Aaton keycode readers.
Instead of repeating twice the same video timecode on say, lines
16 and 18, 3line VITC takes advantage of 16, 17 and 18 separately.

Compatible with standard VITC, 3Line VITC leaves full Keycode
traces on your tapes.
- The first line carries the Video timecode which can be read by all
  standard VITC readers.
- The second line carries the complete (non truncated) Keycode message.
- The third line carries Audio TC -- be it aaton code, arri fis,
  digi slate, stone-age slate, or mag-follower originated.
(protected by special CRCs, these two lines will not fool ordinary VITC
readers which will not even 'see' them).

The day it comes to dig into the Keycode stuff, Lightworks does it by
directly reading the 3 lines; Avid does it through a front end
accessory; Joe Blogs does it through Aaton or Evertz readers.
The negative cutter will simply ask for a Keycode inserted tape copy
to be made through an Aaton or Evertz post-burner.

All film afficionados hope "I also want to cut the negative" will remain
the customers' favorite question.

--jp
Jean-Pierre Beauviala          jpb at aaton.com                 www.aaton.com