Re: Large Screen Projection

>Large Screen Projection               Date:  11/8/96
>
>Last week I saw a demo of the new high powered DLP ( TI micro mirror ) based
>video projector from Digital Projection, a company that used to be a division
>of Rank Brimar.  The unit uses a large Xenon lamp as the light source and is
>capable of extremely bright images.  The unit does still have some quirks and
>what looks like design problems that I can only assume will eventually be
>fixed.  For example,  dark parts of the image have an overall light scatter
>problem that tends to elevate the brightness of those dark areas reducing the
>contrast ratio.  Colorimetry was a bit off with Orangy reds ( improperly
>selected dichroic beam separators? ) but the seamless quality of the images,
>the flicker free display, the resolution, the image brightness and the
>general
>smoothness of the images was very impressive.  The visible pixels of LCD
>projectors was not a problem here.  Also scan lines are gone due to the micro
>mirror pixels being so close to each other that there is essentially no seam
>between.  There are a number of manufacturers with products in the works
>utilizing the new TI technology, most of them not as powerful as the one from
>the ex-Rank Brimar division.  As an advocate of moving to larger displays in
>Post Production, it was a treat to see this system in action.  A smaller
>version with better black levels and better primary colorimetry would be a
>good thing in telecine suites in my opinion.
>Dave Corbitt

Dave,

With the difficulty we have all had agreeing upon monitoring standards in
the color correction suite, not to mention a completely different set of
(rough) colorimetry guidelines used in producing consumer monitors, I am
concerned about how representative this new technology would be of the
"average" viewing conditions of the intended audience.  Would you care to
comment?

Tim Bond

This Email address is shared by the Bond home, so please put the
RECIPIENT'S NAME within the MESSAGE BODY for proper routing.