Re: Barcode Performance

<< And I would add that with Keylink,getting inaccurate data requires a
special
 effort.(or none at all). Any system is capable of poor performance if
 used incorrectly.Keylink is by far the most accurate reading and logging
 device in the world because of the built in protection from such abuse.By
 constantly checking and correcting all data,the Keylink takes care of what
 far too many operators fail to do. >>

Gentlemen:

Having had considerable engineering experience with both the Aaton and Evertz
systems I consider it worthwhile to point out that there is only so much a
colorist can do during a transfer.  Even with dalies, somebody still has to
keep his or her eyes on the screen, looking for dirt, film defects, scene
changes--whatever--and can't be  expected to monitor the time code equipment
continuously.

The 4015/4025/Keylog system had some reoccurring inconsistencies: numbers
that "bobbled," missed or late Keykode number updates, events not logged at
all or on incorrect frames, etc.   I found many such problems not due to lax
operators, but caused by some slight peculiarity in the film, other equipment
in the suite, or what somebody was trying to do in the first place.  Or else
the system just needed yet another "Novram Reset."  Rather than wasting time
fixing what wasn't broken, we'd develop strategies to get past what were
really limitations in the equipment.  Evertz tried the best they could to
help us out, but they weren't making their own readers at the time, and
there's only so much you can pack into a 1 RU box anyway, so they finally
said, "look, this is how it is."   Needless to say, that wasn't what the
clients, colorists, or facility management wanted to hear, so it was,
"entres-vous le Keylink, si vous plais."

[My apologies to anybody offended by the above; I was probably the only kid
in the New York City school system who took three years to graduate from
first-year French!]

To be fair, the early Keylink systems had their own set of problems.  They
were comparitively inflexible, and outside of the exposure "window," you
couldn't get anything from them either.  But the big difference between the
two systems (aside from Keylink's ability to read Aatoncode) is that the
Keylink is more software than hardware, exactly the opposite of the Evertz
system.   This made it possible, through numerous software upgrades, to "fine
tune" the system so that it for the most part meets the needs--and
peculiarities--of its users.

Christopher Bacon
DuArt Video