Re: Let's Get Real About Pushing Film

>I would have to disagree from recent personal experience.  I am currently
>shooting a documentary on Fuji Super16mm negative.  In one low-light
>situation, I ran out of 500EI (8671) stock and resorted to 250EI (8651)
>stock pushed one stop.  The slower, pushed stock yielded better contrast,
>better shadow detail, crisp whites, and arguably little more grain than the
>normally processed faster stock.

Sam - what you see may not be a true 1-stop increase in effective film
speed. There is no question that pushing film will increase the shadow
detail, but where speed is calculated is on the "straight line" portion of
the curve. The more you overdevelope, the less straight the "straight line"
becomes, and therefore there is not a corresponding increased density in
the upper straight line, and of course, the shoulder. Contrast becomes very
compressed. This can be corrected in telecine to some degree, but the price
you pay is an increase in grain and contrast is shot to hell. Cross-over is
also introduced.

A good example of what I describe is the Altman Film "A Wedding" which was
"pushed 2 stops" and shows it. Of course, if you like what you get...who am
I to complain? Just remember, what ever it does, it does not produce a true
increase in the effective film speed.

Sam - nice hearing from you again...I see that you have switched "homes"
once agian - hope all is well.

Tom