Re: Let's Get Real About Pushing Film

>>Black-and-white negative films and color reversal films can be
push-processed; most color negative films cannot be usefully push-processed.

>Kodak has, in the past, stated that color negative can only be pushed about
1/2 stop. Many DP and Photographers push process color negative film, and
perhaps it might begin to address problems on the set, so to speak. But in
truth and reality...effective speeds beyond 1/2 stop are reality only in
one's imagination.

Tom,

I would have to disagree from recent personal experience.  I am currently
shooting a documentary on Fuji Super16mm negative.  In one low-light
situation, I ran out of 500EI (8671) stock and resorted to 250EI (8651)
stock pushed one stop.  The slower, pushed stock yielded better contrast,
better shadow detail, crisp whites, and arguably little more grain than the
normally processed faster stock.

As a colorist, I particularly noticed that the slower stock possessed a
broader, more complete color palette.  Both Fuji and Kodak products in the
500EI range have always seemed to have a somewhat limited spectrum, and I
have often encouraged clients to experiment with pushing 7293 one stop asd
an alternative to 7298, or especially 7296.

I have decided not to carry any more Fuji 500 on my shoot.  The results with
pushing in this case are perfectly acceptable, costs only a couple of more
cents a foot to process, and most importantly, my Camera Assistant doesn't
have to have three stock loaded and ready.  The money I save by not renting
and shipping extra magazines pays for the special processing.

With reference to Rob's original query, however, I would strongly reccommend
a test before pushing and 500EI stock, ALL of which are garbage, to 1000.
Everyone has a different grain tolerance.

Trust no one,

Sam
EDS Digital Studios, LA