Let's Get Real About Pushing Film

At 02:29 PM 11/4/96 -0800, you wrote:

>On Nov 4, 16:58, CLD36 at aol.com wrote:

>} Subject: Re: stock recommendation sought

>> Hello Rob,

>> 5279 is the best high speed stock for his application.  I would also

>> recommend he underexpose one stop but process normally.  It will
transfer

gria.com        KB6CUN	   http://www.alegria.com

>-----

>mailinglist digest available.........advertising *only* with
permission

>inquiries to rob at alegria.com...http://www.alegria.com/telecinehome.html

>	   message to rob at alegria.com with 'Subject: retrieve'

>		sends list of telecine equipment for sale

I have always maintained that color negative film cannot be properly
"push processed"...but shucks...don't take my word for it - kindly refer
to the following paste from the Kodak Web Site:

>If it is not possible to use a higher speed film, one solution is to
underexpose while taking the picture and then give the film more
development time than is normally recommended. (This requires an
adjustable SLR camera.) For example, the photographer may shoot a film
rated at ISO 100 with the camera set at ISO 400, allowing his/her camera
to use a faster shutter speed. It is important to be aware that while
doing this will capture the image, it will also result in a poorer
quality in tone reproduction and an increase in graininess in the final
print.

>Black-and-white negative films and color reversal films can be
push-processed; <bigger>most color negative films cannot be usefully
push-processed.

Kodak has, in the past, stated that color negative can only be pushed
about 1/2 stop. Many DP and Photographers push process color negative
film, and perhaps it might begin to address problems on the set, so to
speak. But in truth and reality...effective speeds beyond 1/2 stop are
reality only in one's imagination.

Tom</bigger>