Re: stock recommendation sought

At 08:52 AM 11/6/96 -0000, Geoff Boyle wrote:
>No, I meant underexpose.
>
>If you're trying to get a 1000 rating with a 500 stock then you are
>automatically underexposing it.
>
>The real question is whether you push process it or not.
>
>I wouldn't do this if I was post producing on tape, the benefits of the
>extra density are far outweighed by the grain increase and the harsher
>mid-tones.

>I've always wondered why I had less problems with grain than a lot of other
>DP's, I may have got the answer last week, I compared my printer lights
>with all the other rushes going through the lab. Mine were consistently 4
>points heavier. And I know that this doesn't agree with what I've said
>above, but I believe that a push process will make the grain problem even
>worse.
>
>Geoff
>
>http://www.saccard.com

Geoff-

OOPs!! I shoudln't write posts late at night. I get over/under confused that
way.
I think you got the jist of my point which was denser neg, and to expose
more than meters tell you especially with higher asa films. I didn't know
your background and I appologize for my pontification. It does seem to me
though, that no motion picture stock is really capable of 1000 asa. Pushing
seems to be a very unpleasant optiion. If it rated at 500 and pushed N +1. I
could see it working, possibly, but a rating of 1000 and N +1 to 500 seems
to be to be a very low density neg. I think even if base fog were raised by
the overexposure, they could be driven to black in transfer.

Thanks for clearing up my boo boo.

Craig
Craig Leffel
Telecine colorist