Re: stock recommendation sought

At 02:29 PM 11/4/96 -0800, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

>> Hello Rob,
>> 5279 is the best high speed stock for his application.  I would also
>> recommend he underexpose one stop but process normally.  It will transfer
>> much more easily as the contrasts will match better.
>
>Why underexpose in this situation?

I hope Geoff meant to say overexpose -- because that's what he is describing.
Even with 79 though, you'll find that the pro recommendation for 500 asa
stocks is really around 320, so overexposing a stop takes it to around
640-700. BUT, as in past discussions, most of us tell our clients to
overexpose by 1/2 to a whole stop as normal m.o. (I'm going to ignore recent
discussion by many DP's that 87 should be underexposed because I disagree).

All this talk makes for nothing but confusion. The way I would answer the
question is this; It totally depends on the subject material. In low
contrast, dark situations you're going to have problems without pre-flashing
the film.
(See panavision pre-flash attachment). In high/normal contrast situations I
would recommend rating at 500 asa, taking a highlight reading, and adding at
least 2 stops to it. Meters assume that whatever they are looking at is
middle grey (zone 5 ). Most highlights need to be brighter than that (zone 6
or 7) so you add more light( zone 5 + 2 stops is zone 7). The main concern
becomes creating sufficient neg density to hold highlights AND blacks, while
maintaining a contrast ratio that when corrected yeilds as much dynamic
range (zones) as possible.

I have been intrigued by all the Spirit discussion and all I can say is that
if it's come down to what makes a perfect car grill and can also scan a
frame at half the inherent resolution -- I'm going have another martini.

Here's hoping that it's still more about the knob twister than the twistee...

Craig

Craig Leffel
Telecine colorist
Post Effects