You Be The Judge

Somewhat controversially, at IBC Cintel ran a questionnaire, inviting
potential buyers to make a direct comparison of the relative strengths and
weaknesses of our URSA Gold and the new Philips Spirit. We have analysed
the results, and we offer them here without comment.

There are lots of ways of interpreting surveys like this, which ask the
respondent to rate something on a five-point scale from bad to good. Here
we are showing an overall preference rating - plus the number of
respondents who thought that each machine was good or very good, and bad or
very bad - on each of the twelve questions.

Colour fidelity: overall preference 51% URSA, 49% Spirit. Good/very good
for colour fidelity: URSA 91% of respondents, Spirit 87%. Bad/very bad for
colour fidelity: URSA 0%, Spirit 2%.

Deep shadow resolution: overall preference 54% URSA, 46% Spirit. Good: 87%
URSA, 67% Spirit. Bad: 2% URSA, 9% Spirit.

Highlights: overall preference 52% URSA, 48% Spirit. Good: 82% URSA, 74%
Spirit. Bad: 0% URSA, 11% Spirit.

Skin tones: overall preference 54% URSA, 46% Spirit. Good: 88% URSA, 73%
Spirit. Bad: 2% URSA, 8% Spirit.

Film grain: overall preference 51% URSA, 49% Spirit. Good: 80% URSA, 70%
Spirit. Bad: 6% URSA, 9% Spirit.

Noise: overall preference 49% URSA, 51% Spirit. Good: 76% URSA, 73% Spirit.
Bad: 6% URSA, 4% Spirit.

Filmic quality: overall preference 56% URSA, 44% Spirit. Good: 87% URSA,
60% Spirit. Bad: 4% URSA, 14% Spirit.

Vertical stability: overall preference 57% URSA, 43% Spirit. Good: 94%
URSA, 62% Spirit. Bad: 0% URSA, 21% Spirit.

Zoom range: overall preference 56% URSA, 44% Spirit. Good: 91% URSA, 58%
Spirit. Bad: 4% URSA, 20% Spirit.

Creative effects: overall preference 64% URSA, 36% Spirit. Good: 88% URSA,
34% Spirit. Bad: 0% URSA, 32% Spirit.

Ease of use: overall preference 57% URSA, 43% Spirit. Good: 85% URSA, 63%
Spirit. Bad: 0% URSA, 17% Spirit.

Value for money: overall preference 68% URSA, 32% Spirit. Good: 83% URSA,
26% Spirit. Bad: 6% URSA, 54% Spirit.

A good statistician could, of course, argue with these figures, not least
because the sample was of people who wanted to win a prize from Cintel!
They are some indication, though, of the way people were thinking at IBC.

David Fenton

Cintel International