Re: Very pleased..

In a message dated 96-10-29 05:11:46 EST, Mike R. wrote:

<< Returning to manuals in our area of profession. They are a bit like a
former
 aquaintance of mine, she always judged the restaurant by its desserts. Many
 products can be judged by their manuals before beeing plugged in - are we in
 agreement?

 Wich are the best  or  worst manuals around? What makes a really good
manual?

I've found that the quality of a manual doesn't always reflect the quality of
the equipment, but I avoid buying gear until I know it comes with
satisfactory manuals.  Usually manufacturers who care enough to do a decent
job of documentation are also the same ones who also provide good parts and
service facilities.

IMHO, the best manuals ever written were those supplied by Hewlett Packard
with their electronic test equipment.  Tektronix uses a similar formula,
though they sometimes aren't as clear and concise.  These manuals do the
following:

1. They tell you what the unit does; what the various options and accessories
that may or may not be present do; and what other paraphenalia you need to
use it.

2. How to make sure that all of the features and functions work (i.e. a
technician's check-out procedure, not detailed operating instructions).

3. What to do if it doesn't work--warranty and out-of-warranty service,
parts, etc.

4. Full operating instructions.

5. Full theory of operation.

6. A real alignment procedure that explains what each and every tweak in the
unit is for, and how to set each one to factory spec.

7. Schematics, circuit board and chassis parts layouts, and color codes for
wiring harnesses.

8. Parts lists, including generic part numbers and OEM parts sources wherever
possible.

Christopher Bacon
DuArt Video