Re: Telecine Oral History Project...

>So, Grandpa or Grandma Telecine, we young uns want to know what were the
>causes of, the effects of (and your favorite war stories from) the Great
>Color Corrector Patent Battles of the early 1980's...

Gosh, yes I fought in the Great War... Just letme put my store teeth in and
I'll
recollect for ya...

 I was at Duart Video from before time, and we bought our first Dubner color
corrector about 2 months before it even had a control panel(Stu Lang showed
me voltage changes on a meter!..so unfortunatly, when the whole Rainbow suit
hit the fasn , I was the only (lucky me!) person left who knew all of
Duart's history with them..As you can imagine, I spent many happy hours
giving grudging depositions to annnoying attorneys. But I was as kind and
helpful as possible("Do you recognize this piece of paper?" "This piece of
paper?""Yes" "No, I don't" " This isn't your signature?" "No" " Aren't you
Dave Koslow?' "Yes" "And this isnt your signature?" "NO" ...it was a XEROX
of a paper I had signed...so of course I had never seen IT before...))

 Anyway, The whole thing seems to have been handled badly from the first
case. Serabian reallly didn't add that much to prior art. RCA Chromacomp
boards had a clearly marked
"Control Voltage IN" on the schematics, labs had been doing light changes on
printing with various mechanical and computer-like ssystems since the '20s.
All this adds up to
show that prior art did exist in the the field. Yes, he had some specific
improvements, but these were directly related to computer manipulation of
the list, not color correction itself. He didn't even build the damn board,
RCA did!
 Unfortunatly, the judge was not a technical man, and the defense argued
from a "Well, everybodys doing it..." position, and lost BIG. This gave
Serabian $1.5 mil to war chest his attack on the world. We eventually paid
the damn licsenses and got on with our lives. But it still stinks.

Dave Koslow