Re: Telecine Oral History Project...

JKreines at aol.com wrote:

> As a lover of techno-history, I was curious about an event that, uh, colored
> much of the 1980's...
>
> So, Grandpa or Grandma Telecine, we young uns want to know what were the
> causes of, the effects of (and your favorite war stories from) the Great
> Color Corrector Patent Battles of the early 1980's...
>
> We all hear tell of the CCC Patent Trust acting a little like the Motion
> Picture Patent Trust acted in the 1900s...  but would like to know more...
>  from whatever biased or enlightened points of view are out there.  Did they
> sneak into your suites in the middle of the night with baseball bats?  Or is
> that something from Edison's day?
>
> Not trying to start a flame war, just trying to capture a little telecine
> oral history before it's gone.
>
> Jeff "tell us another one, Grandpa!" Kreines
>
> -----
> mailinglist digest available.........advertising *only* with permission
> inquiries to rob at alegria.com...http://www.alegria.com/telecinehome.html
>         NEW: message to rob at alegria.com with 'Subject: retrieve'
>                 sends list of telecine equipment for sale

To: All

I'm not a gpa yet, however, I lived through that "dark" period of color
correction history at Editel/N.Y. (may she rest in piece).
We were owned by Col. Pix at that time. Col. Pix was going to sell the
Editel group and did not want to get involved in a long court battle
which might squelch their deal. So, they dropped the court case(actually
it was an appeal). The judge, had already ruled in Armand Serabian's
favor. This judge, who was not technically "hip", stated that this man
has a patent and Dubner did not, case closed.
In my opinion, this set color correction technology back quite a few
years. Dubner got out of the biz of color correctors. Gee, I loved that
Dubner. It was great having Harvey come over and plug his attache case
into our computer and make our requested mods.
Anyway, the settlement was: any end user and manufacturer had to pay
Armand a $10K indemnity for every unit in use or manufactured. Also, a
placard with the patent number(Corporate Comm.'s) was to be placed on
any non CCC color corrector. This was known as the "Rainbow lawsuit".
At the time we were angry, incredulous over certain decisions and
directions that were taken. However, the daily life was not affected.
Initially we thought we would lose our Dubners but that never happened.
We didn't purchase the CCC correctors either.
I know there are others out there that testified at the "trial" and
others that made some very "colorful" remarks about this terrible period
in video history. I'd love to hear from them.

Regards,
Bruce (I loved those faders) Goldstein

"The grass is always greener on the other side...until you have to mow
the lawn" ----Bruce the Elder