Re: D1, Encoders, and DVD

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996 12:55:01 -0700, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded mail from "Martin, Ron (MCA)" <rlmarti at mca.com>
>
>There have been a few questions lately about DVD related to monitoring  =
=20
>and encoded output.  We at the MCA DVCC (Digital Video Compression  =20
>Center) have several of the consumer DVD players straight off the  =20
>production line from Japan and I can tell you they look GREAT!
>
>The players include a composite output as well a S-Video component  =20
>output. The encoded output H. blanking is 10.8 and there are even 8  =20
>cycles of stable subcarrier that any Tek. WFM would be impressed with.  =
=20
>Anything left in the D1 master that you hoped the Accom (or any other  =20
>encoder) would hide is now going to be out there for the world to see.  =
=20
> The colorimetry and level reproduction is remarkable. The vector =
display  =20
>of program bars look like they are right out of the test generator. No  =
=20
>chroma noise, no over-modulation artifact, just clean pictures.  This  =20
>signal will be the cleanest and highest integrity ever delivered to the =
 =20
>home/consumer marketplace.

I am VERY interested in more information on your DVD experience.

In comparison to what does it look great?  Digi-Beta?  Beta-SP? =
Laserdisk?
S-VHS? Hi-8? VHS?  Your local cable company feed?

What type of material were you looking at?  Was there a mixture of =
images:
commercials, a feature, test signals only?

What level of compression was used on the footage you saw?  Was it the =
same
level of compression as that which would be required to put a two hour
movie with the umpteen audio tracks on a disk?

Did you see any blockiness or artifacting?  What about on rapid motion
(quick pans, or people running, or a football being thrown)?  Any dropped
or frozen frames?

Thanks for any info you can provide on this. The highly compressed images=
saw at the NAB were not very good at all, barely decent VHS quality.

Bob Kertesz
Blue/Green/Screen LLC

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE compositing