D1, Encoders, and DVD

--- Forwarded mail from "Martin, Ron (MCA)" <rlmarti at mca.com>

There have been a few questions lately about DVD related to monitoring
and encoded output.  We at the MCA DVCC (Digital Video Compression
Center) have several of the consumer DVD players straight off the
production line from Japan and I can tell you they look GREAT!

The players include a composite output as well a S-Video component
output. The encoded output H. blanking is 10.8 and there are even 8
cycles of stable subcarrier that any Tek. WFM would be impressed with.
Anything left in the D1 master that you hoped the Accom (or any other
encoder) would hide is now going to be out there for the world to see.
 The colorimetry and level reproduction is remarkable. The vector display
of program bars look like they are right out of the test generator. No
chroma noise, no over-modulation artifact, just clean pictures.  This
signal will be the cleanest and highest integrity ever delivered to the
home/consumer marketplace.

Obviously this means that for the mastering session closer attention must
be given to the component monitoring.
The fact that the end user can now monitor before the encoding stage (if
he is so equipped) should make us re-think how we approach things like
chroma and luma clipping (have you got your HP D1 procs in line?)

This will be a big boost for the S-Video option on consumer sets and
should (maybe) raise the consumers appreciation for the product we
produce. As colorists, engineers and content suppliers we also have to
raise our standards for our own products.

Ron Martin,   Engineer
MCA / MEI HDTV Telecine Center
MCA Digital Video Compression Center

rlmarti at mca.com