re<new solvents

                      Subject:                              Time:  4:15 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         re<new solvents                       Date:  10/11/96

A few days ago Rob Asked:

>Is there anything new happening in the world of solvents for film
>cleaning?
>
>Specifically, is there an effective, economical, 'safer' alternative to
>Perchlorethylene yet?

Then Dean Humphus replied--->
We have contacted a company called Advanced Chemical Designs who make a
product called Borothene, supposedly a drop-in replacement for 1,1,1 trich.
It is a non-CFC, halogenated hydrocarbon with "low toxicity and good
cleaning properties".

I reviewed the MSDS and other properties, and the specs show 1,1,1 and
Borothene to be very similar.

We sent the company some film for analysis and we're still awaiting results
from that test, mainly to see how the film behaves after repeated immersion
and drying.  The chemist I spoke to said the solvent can be altered to
render the properties needed for cleaning triacetate and polyester based
materials.

They can be reached at:

Advanced Chemical Designs
498 South Belvoir Blvd.
South Euclid, Oh. 44121
(216) 382-2032

New Stuff---
Sorry Dean,

I spoke too soon when I said they aren't there yet.  Apparently ACD can modify
their formula to be kinder to film just as Dean said.  Rich Henry of ACD has
told me he will contact Kodak for further testing of this product.  Rough
guestimates for price are $3/lb.  Is this the miracle we've been waiting for?
How about it Kodak and Lipsner Smith?  Anyone care to comment on this?  To
learn more about this new solvent point your browser to
<http://dawn.coolworld.com/shopping/advanced/>
Dave Corbitt