Re: Monitor Placement

At 10:22 PM 10/10/96 -0700, Paul wrote:
snip

>The rule that 'if it will be delivered composite you should be able to
monitor composite' seems to apply well here. The issues of '601 blanking vs.
encoded should >also not be ignored (how many NTSC delivery systems transmit
10.4uS H blanking?

>Although not too many cable systems deliver D1 to home TV, the much hailed
DVD will effectively do this.
>What now happens to the movies that we carefully mastered a couple of years
ago monitoring composite through our trusty D-Bridges (10.7 NTSC blanking I
think)???

snip

Paul is right that it is important to think not only short term, but also
long term about the potential uses for the product we deliver.  We have seen
many transfers from houses that only monitored composite, that had blanking
problems when view in digital.
We have sent tapes back for white lines or other blanking artifacts down one
side or another that were covered up by the encoder that the colorist was
using. This is why we prefer to monitor both composite and component.  We
also like to use a TEK WFM601 scope in the room to decode the D1 feed to RGB
parade, and to also measure real D1 blanking. True, one can get into trouble
if they disregard composite totally, but one can also fall into other traps
by trusting the encoder blanking and ignoring digital blanking. Sometimes
"good enough" isn't. If consumer digital delivery (DVD?) ever becomes
reality, and your clients tapes have funky blanking artifacts only visable
in digital, will your client really be happy with you then? Is it a good
idea to assume that the players will cover it up?

BTW,  The viewing distance I've found that many colorists like is two and
one half to three times the diagonal of the monitor.  If I remember
correctly, this is fairly close to Joe Kane's suggestions. I also try to
make the console height such that the colorist is able to look directly at
the monitor without getting a stiff neck. Also, on the Sony 20F monitors,
there a Sony mod sheet that has a fairly simple change to reduce brightness
differences between over and underscan. Now if they could just do something
about that auto setup that assumes their internal generator is correct, and
the decoders are perfectly aligned at the factory (not!)....
Craig Nichols
Todd-AO Video