Re: Monitor placement

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:39:50 -0700, you wrote:
>Dave Satin wrote:
>>There is no composite video feed to=20
>>any main monitor in any component room at SMA.
>
>!!!!!!
>Anyone care to open up this can of worms?
>
>Phil Mendelson      philm at hollydig.com

I'll give it a go.

Although almost everything I do is in production, not post, all monitors =
on
set show component video all the time, including the director's monitor =
and
the small 9" on a rollaround stand for the DP.

I do have composite available for uses like script supervisors who need
superimposed code for logging, but I try to make those monitors b&w.  =
Also,
when matting I usually need to monitor the hi-con (alpha), which is
composite, and generally I have a wave/vector scope hanging off an =
encoder
just to be comfy.

But I always want to put my best image forward, and that is definitely =
not
composite, especially with a 19" floor monitor into which the director =
and
everyone else sticks their face so closely they get sunburned.

Bottom line is, if I'm recording component, I'm showing component.

Bob Kertesz
Blue/Green/Screen LLC

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE compositing