Re: Monitor placement

Popular wisdom here at SMA places the main monitor approximately
13 times the height of the monitor away from the client. I got this
constant either from Mark Schubin or from some Sarnoff labs hi-def
testing that I participated in during the '80's.
Obviously, the colorist sits much closer to the monitor than that. We
align the monitor to what Ikegami (TM 20-20) refers to as "normal"
scan. The film is graded with the same scan size. The monitor is fed RGB output
from the Hewlett-Packard quality advisor. There is no composite video feed to
any main monitor in any component room at SMA.
The Y output from the Ursa Gold is fed into the monitor routing
switcher, and as I review the most current  color correct room salvo,
I notice that the Ursa Y signal does indeed feed a 9" monochrome
monitor that is underscanned.
Dave Satin
Executive Vice President       212.226.7474/V
Director of Engineering        212.941.0439/F
SMA Video Inc.

100 6th Avenue 10th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10013-1689