No Subject

...............<deletia>..............
>Specifically, is there an effective, economical, 'safer' alternative to
>Perchlorethylene yet?

We have contacted a company called Advanced Chemical Designs who make a
product called Borothene, supposedly a drop-in replacement for 1,1,1 trich. It
is a non-CFC, halogenated hydrocarbon with "low toxicity and good cleaning
properties".
We sent the company some film for analysis and we're still awaiting results
from that test, mainly to see how the film behaves after repeated immersion
and drying.  The chemist I spoke to said the solvent can be altered to render
the properties needed for cleaning triacetate and polyester based materials.

They can be reached at:

Advanced Chemical Designs
498 South Belvoir Blvd.
South Euclid, Oh. 44121