Re: Primetime

The original question was about episodic television, and I stand by what =
wrote.

In this form, most DPs who want to keep working base their selection of
stock on a lot of practical criteria, only one of which is the quality of
images, and very rarely is it the first criteria. =20

You imply that the DP as an artist is somehow above all those pedestrian
considerations I mentioned. Sorry, but I've been on a lot of episodic =
sets
and that's *generally* not how it goes. =20

The DP, like most of the other below the line people, has to work within
the budget, space, time, and talent temperament he or she is presented
with, or the producer will find someone who will.  Now within those
practical constraints, if the DP has a choice of several stocks, then
aesthetics become the major consideration.

I won't even get into how the subtle nuances of individual stocks get =
lost
in the noise when an image is transmitted over a poor cable system to a
1987 Sylvania with the brightness and contrast turned all the way up. =
This
should not, of course, be a consideration because we should all strive to
do our very best no matter what the eventual venue. =20

But as a practical matter, the electronic transmission of the image tends
to be the great homogenizer where subtle differences in stocks are
concerned.  And once heavily compressed images beamed to small home
satellites really take off, most stock won't be recognizable by its own
mother.

In a perfect world, the same attention to detail would be given to each
setup in a four camera episodic shoot that Allen Daviau gives his feature
work, the DP would be able to go to each person's house and individually
adjust their set for optimum viewing, and I would be 6' 2", 20 pounds
lighter and 20 years younger.  But it ain't likely to happen any time =
soon.

--Bob