Re:Edwin at IBC

Thanks to J.C for posting his observations of Edwin. Here are a few of my own.

Edwin is better than "32 windows" in that it allows truly user defined shapes
to be used on a scene by scene basis. It will allow 888 systems to have a Power
Window plus a User Defined Window (UDW), instead of the present Simple Window.

Definition of the window should be quite fast. To start with it allows a key,
either from the incoming image or an external device, with upper and lower
luminance limiting. This key can then be vectorised using up to 200 points,
which can then be modified. By using vectors the  UDW can change shape
dynamically in a scene.

 There is also as JC mentioned a paint type input, which may be used to retouch
the key, or to create custom windows. In da Vinci style, there is provision to
monitor the window development either on the picture output, or the Indy
monitor, so clients will be able to keep up with whats going on.

The resulting window is stored in the event list, and may also be stored on the
Indy in a "window shape library" for use in other sessions.

Best of all though, the window can then be zoomed,rotated,tracked etc and
gaussian blur added to give softness, so it is a sort of Super Power Window.

I understand that it should be available around February next year, and well
tried and tested by NAB.

The IBC showing was a prototype, so I guess there may be further features by
the time Edwin is in production.

With regard to my previous comment on near real time RI color enhancement, I
feel this is an inevitable step, since it would allow us to utilise Tiffen
filter software, Grain creation tools, selective defocusing, etc etc. My
feeling at IBC was that with the Spirit/Resolve combination, this will be
possible within the next 12 months. I accept that although grading decisions
may be real time, the bottleneck is going to be data transfer itself.

Kevin Shaw
-a da Vinci colorist in an upside down world ;-)