RE: BARS NOMENCLATURE

At 1:31 PM 9/25/96, bill topazio wrote:
>Yes, you're right, that's the proper nomenclature, but it happens
>that it's rarely used because for the most part, engineers deal
>pretty much with only 1 or maybe 2 flavors.  Outside of engineering
>offices and labs, I'll bet most folks don't know about it... at least
>on this side of the pond.
>
>On Mon, 23 Sep 1996 06:16:18 -0400  Simon Aglionby wrote:
>>Ladies and Gentlemen,
>>
>>Am I alone in my understanding of colour bar nomenclature (from a European
>>perspective)?
>>
>>As a cub engineer 15 years ago at the BBC, we were taught a four digit
>>representation for bars - a:b:c:d.
>>
>>    a is the "on" value for a _non-coloured_, ie white bar
>>    b is the "off" value for a _non-coloured_, ie black bar
>>    c is the "on" value for a _coloured_ bar
>>    d is the "off" value for a _coloured_ bar
>>
>>So, I would understand :-
>>
>>    100:0:100:0 as 100% bars, where each RGB value is either fully on or fully
>>off.
>>    100:0:75:0 would be 75% bars, where RGB numbers are at 75% of max in all
>>except the white bar
>>    100:0:100:25 I vaguely remember as EBU, or 95%, bars (for reasons that I
>>don't recall)
>>    100:7.5:75:7.5 (or is it 75:7.5:75:7.5 ?) I think was the number set for
>>NTSC, but its a long time ago now
>>
>>Is this nomenclature in use anywhere else?
>>
>>Best Regards,
>>
>>Simon Aglionby

If my decrepit BBC memory serves me correctly, they were called 95% bars
because they *looked* like 95% saturated. One of the few non-quantitative
items on my Beeb training course, around the same time as Simon.

Oh yes: the answer is no, nobody else seems to give a toss about this sort
of thing. No wonder broadcasting is going to the dogs.
Damn' shame if you ask me. Poor show and that kind of thing.
Time was, engineers used to get horse-whipped for a wide back porch..........

Rgds
Mike O