Re: dry-brush vacuum type film cleaner.

Louis Quintal wrote:
> information
>on a dry brush-vacuum cleaner designed for a telecine chain. Since there is
>a physical contact between a rotary brush and the negative i wonder if that
>system could scratch the negative. I would appreciate any info from anyone
>using a VCF 6000 film cleaner or any similar device in a post-production
>facility.

I have experience with the VCF 6000 ("Hoover").  Indeed the camel hair
rotary brushes do come in contact with the film (both base and emulsion
sides).  My thoughts are that it system is somewhat difficult to install,
can be tricky to get the guide rollers properly shimmed to the correct
height, concern over guide rollers cut for Super 16mm work, and frankly,
does not do that well of a job removing dust/dirt, and is very noisy in an
environnment that already has an excessive amount of noise pollution,
(typically).  It is also very expensive-for what it is.

Stick (no pun) with the PTR type soft rollers.  They suffer from none of the
drawbacks mentioned above.  The lastest formulation also helps eliminated
static buildup, something the vacuum system would tend to make worse.  Just
keep them clean and replace the rollers occasionally, and they do a much
better job removing dirt, as Rob said,   > Many orders of magnitude better
than the vacuum system;<.   We recommend further that you use a separate set
of rollers for each film gauge, though some would say this is unnecessary.

Two manufacturers are FPC, Hollywood ( a Kodak company), and  San Labs, in
Canada.

Dean