IBC for a day

I only spent 1 day at IBC, the last day at that,and here is my list of some of
the things which caught my eye.
1. New tape formats galore from Sony, JVC and Panasonic.  All compressed formats
to a greater or lesser extent.  Compression still bothers me - all that detail
information lost forever, and then what do they do with it but shove it into yet
another compression system for distribution.  Can't help wondering if all we are
going to see soon is little squares on the screen after all this compression
cascading.  Sure means poorer picture quality.
2. The Philips stand was busy even on the last day with people interested in the
Spirit datacine
3. By comparison the Cintel stand seemed to be deserted- I'm told they all came
last week.
4. While on the Cintel stand, Martin Greenwood from Pandora and J-P Beauviala
showed me the latest version of the Grayfinder programme, which runs with
Keylink 6.01 to produce transfer points (equal to printer points) from all of
the colour negative films, to send the Directors of Photography dailies
information.  Looked most impressive.  Can also show colour deviation in each
channel.
5. Film is still very much present and is still the standard by which everything
is judged.  Sony even had a digibeta camera with all the accessories, lens,
matte box, tripod etc made by Arriflex - presumably to encourage film people to
use it.
6. Nice publication I picked up on the Quantel stand called 'Film in the Digital
Age' which when you skip the underlying sales bit for Domino is quite well done.

7. Kodak Thunder is a TELESCANNER, not a telecine, and is intended primarily to
input to Cineon type operations.  HD option is extra.  The 30" screen on the
booth showed a noise-free picture which most people were convinced was HD but it
was 625 lines.  Very impressive.
8. DVB, MPEG, ATM, ADSL, VOD were everywhere.  Seems like the industry is now
run by computers and servers.  With all this demand for future programming, just
how many variations can you have in a script?

John Croft